Tuesday 26 May 2009

I feel saw...

It has begun... again... well properly this time. I mean the making has begun.

Today I became the proud owner of 12 metres of 25 x 25 x 1.6mm square tube steel and I started to cut the hundred or so lengths that will make up the space frame of my car. The University of Nottingham engineering stores did not have all of the material that I needed, so I took what they did and made a start with that.

I learnt how to use a new tool; the horizontal metal band saw. Possibly one of the least stressful tools to use with its quick lock clamps and the automatic hydraulic cutting blade and switch off (you just press go and it turns off when it's finished).

The result of my work was 28 lengths of steel cut down to rough dimensions ready to be taken home at the end of term. I also managed to find a place to store the parts in the engineering department.

As well as this I managed to get the relatively small amount of round tube steel 19mm dia. that I will need.

To give a rough idea of what this metal is actually for, here is a cad image from the book that shows the assembled space frame:

No comments:

Post a Comment