Tuesday 19 May 2009

A little more info - The Plan

Ok, so by no means am I intending to write on this blog everyday from now until the beginning of September. However I feel that I should give a bit more of an intro in terms of what the project entails.

I have managed to keep good connections with some great people from my old school. I worked there in my gap year and still help in holidays pat testing and fitting projectors. It's because of this and because of their supportive nature that I have managed to get access to a school owned garage for 10 or so weeks of the holiday, a garage which is, during term time, the home of the automobile society or "autosoc". This is fantastic as I live in London and space is at a premium especially if you're planning on turning it into a temporary workshop.

I am in the middle of my first year Uni exams at the moment, but have spent the "small" amounts of time when I am not revising sourcing parts. This was really aided by the adverts in a few kit car magazines that I purchased when the car idea was in its infancy.

The main websites that have sourced from are components suppliers list on the right. As well as sourcing I have put the cutting list into an excel document and downloaded a trial of a piece of cutting optimisation software which is perfect for finding the best way not to waste materials. I would like to buy it but as it stands I am on a budget and it has a perfectly adequate 30-day-trial. The software is called "cut logic 1d" and can be found on http://www.tmachines.com/cl1dp.html it is perfect for tube steel cutting list optimisation.

The next step is to start construction on the smaller more complex parts immediately after the exams using the workshop facilities up here at Nottingham. I could also use this opportunity to cut down the tube steel, which I am hoping to source through the University, into the many individual pieces. This should give me a head start and make things a lot easier later on in the project. I am also limited by the fact that I can't use the school garage until term at the school ends; this is a noticeable length of time after my university term ends.

When it does end however I should be ready, with cut steel ready to weld, certain parts complete, many parts on order, a sierra ready to dismantle and about 3 days before I go to Malia for a week. What can you do though? When I get back it will be go go go from there though, and that is when the real making begins and I spend my time sleeping, building and blogging car.

But for now, I wait. That's what I do. Tick follow tock follow tic follow tock... Twiddling my thumbs until these exams are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment