Tuesday 28 July 2009

Forgive me readers for I have sinned, it has been 9 days since my last post...

...and a lot has happened I have basically worked on the car for 8 days straight usually from about 10 in the morning to about 11 in the evening. During this time I have stripped and painted the rocker cover to a vibrant red, taken off and modified the sump so that it has the appropriate ground clearance, and the painted it, ground down and repainted the exhaust manifold, modified (shortened) the oil pickup pipe to work in the new sump, removed the old fan from the engine, painted the engine mounts a bright heat resistant red, welded the engine brackets to the chassis, ground down the gearbox mountings and welded on the mounting plates to the chassis, mounted the engine in the chassis, welded on all of the engine component brackets, welded on the roll bar and the remaining seatbelt brackets, made the seat mountings for the passenger seats, started work mounting up the pedal assembly, completed the front suspension and wishbone brackets, mounted on the front and rear suspension assemblies, Modified the front hubs to accept the Austin Maxi ball joint, put on the front and rear wheels, started work on the exhaust system, ground down the steering rack mountings and attached the steering rack, shortened and re welded the prop shaft and made and welded on the front headlight bars, and I think that is about it.

I could write out in full the small problems I encountered and the things that went right but as you can imagine I would be here for a while. Either way there is one thing worth pointing out. Everything that I am mounting on at the moment does have to be removed so I can powder coat the chassis. The ony reason that I am mounting it all on now is so that I can see whether it will work and whether there are any other things that I need to weld on before I do the coating. Once the chassis is coated, welding anything more onto it means damaging it. I am now left with just a few more jobs and I am slowly getting through them. What remains to do now is remove everything I have spent the last few days attaching and get the chassis ready for its coating. It's getting there though and with only 6 weeks remaining I think, although I am inevitably still very nervous about it all, I am on schedule.

Here are some photos of the progress over this last week:

No comments:

Post a Comment