Sunday 23 August 2009

A finish for the dash and a dash for the finish!


So it turns out that the wiring loom is a miserable job. The most annoying thing about it is that some of the things that it connects to, such as rear lights, need the body panels in before I can fit them, so I cannot connect them up until I fabricate those, but on the flip side it is much easier to fit the loom without panels on. This is one of a number of cycles that stop me doing work and have me left sitting pondering for great swathes of the day.

In an attempt to break one of these cycles I decided to fabricate the dashboard out of some of the 19mm walnut veneered MDF that I had purchased for this job earlier on in the project. I started by making a cardboard template of the dash's general shape using a trial and error style of work. Using this I then traced the outline onto my MDF then cut it out using a jigsaw. Before I started cutting I cut through the veneer along the line with a scalpel to ensure it did not chip and lift off with the saw blade.


Having done this I made sure it would fit by trying to fit it in loosely. While it was in this position I took the opportunity to sit in the driver seat and mark roughly where I wanted the dials to be positioned.


The next step was to mark up more precisely where the dials should go based on my estimates. Having done this I used an interesting hole cutting tool borrowed off a friend. I did not have high hopes for it but I was proven wrong as it cut fantastically clean holes. I checked that it was good enough on the first hole by slotting in my petrol gauge. With it already looking awesome after one dial, I removed it and continued to cut the other 4 holes.



With that done I could not resist dropping in all of the dials and getting a sneak preview of what it was going to look like.

With that done I set about rounding the bottom edge with a router. It is an IVA regulation that the bottom of a dashboard must have a 19mm round on it. I planned to veneer this later so instead of having a simple round I set it in by about a millimetre to form a smooth finish when finished.

This in fact went a little too deep meaning the finish, although still great, was not as need as I had hoped. Later that night I took it home and ironed on the veneer to produce, what looks like, a solid wood curve on the base of the dash.



The next stage was to stain the wood to the darker colour that I had previously envisaged the dash to be. With two coats of that on and dry, it was time to varnish. I chose a matt varnish as I thought it was a bit more of a contemporary slant on what is a classically styled car, but we will have to see how it comes out. I need to put on three coats and I am still waiting for the second to dry. Each coat needs sanding down before the next making the process quite long. However I will post pictures of the completed look. The next job is to set about making the central column which will be made from the same wood, so I may film the process this time and post it as a YouTube video (no promises).


I will get that other video of it starting up soon, that I can promise, but until then keep checking. Between 3-5 weeks left before I must have it finished so keep checking in, in the run up to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment