Thursday 20 August 2009

A very necessary update!

So, once again without photos I am writing another post, but rest assured that you are not missing out on much as the car does look very much the same as before. I felt that I should give the update on the temperature sender problem. I managed to dremel out the remaining piece of thread, but unfortunately the waste piece of brass fell back into the cooling system. After much laboured though I decided that the best option was to leave the waste in there and keep an eye on the temperature of the engine to see if it was blocking, ultimately the worst thing that could happen is that the waste piece of brass is pumped around and chips the coolant pump, but the work involved in getting the waste out is about the same as the work involved in changing the pump and it is not a guarantee that I would be able to remove the material. Either way, I left it and with a cleaning of the coolant thread using the appropriate tapping set I managed to fit the new temperature sensor. This was on Thursday of last week. On Friday I connected up the remaining coolant hoses and filled the system with coolant, oil and the tank with a small amount of petrol, and with part of the loom wired in, I tried to start the engine. It did not go straight away but after a little fiddling with the fuel lines she started beautifully and has done ever since. No silencer on atm so the engine sounds like a v8 and I really can't describe the excitement felt when revving it. My mate Charlie helped me with a panel for the fuse box and battery on the weekend and having let the paint on it dry over Monday we fitted that on Tuesday and gave the fuse box its now permanent home. It looks very neat. I had to work today but went down to the car afterwards and set about constructing the cardboard templates for the body panels, I may be purchasing the aluminium tomorrow morning. My x-dt teacher has offered to give me a hand attacking the job of unscrambling and wiring up the loom tomorrow afternoon so once that is complete it will soon be time to get those body panels riveted on and start going over the final fix. All very exciting stuff! And to add to that for I drove it for the first time this evening, it was not very far as the shocks have not been tightened up yet so low ground clearance prohibits me from leaving my drive, but the 5 metre drive gave great promise of things to come. I am so very excited about this car now and with the end in sight a final push is all that is needed in order to help me achieve the end goal. I'll try to get a video of the car running up soon, and will keep you posted on further progress made.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update - I've been checking back everyday to see what had happened! Please post more pics - I don't even care if it's wiring loom.

    Cheers

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete