Friday 26 June 2009

Hmm, so much to say...

First things first, the seats have arrived and aside from being a little redder than I expected them to be, they are perfect. I am sitting in one while I write this post in fact. I chose not to have a head rest for two main reasons, the first being that the seats with headrests cost about £270 each whereas these ones "only" cost £145 each. The second being the fact that I felt these seats looked a little more classic and in keeping with the rest of the design idea I have for the cockpit as you will hopefully see as the car comes together.

The chassis is coming along swimmingly, far faster than I thought it would. The slowest part seems to be the fine cutting of the metal, which I am doing at home in the garden to the already vocalised dismay of the neighbours. The assembly and welding is quick although it is already provided me with a catalogue of inevitable minor injuries in the form of cuts and burns. I won't include pictures.

Tomorrow I will be attempting to measure the number of revolutions per mile in order to order a correctly calibrated speedo. The automobile society at my old school has a meeting tomorrow morning down at the garage so I might let years 9-11 loose on my donor car and see what results, I hope I will be able to drive it away afterwards. With it now being the weekend, I am also able to use the garage and the space around it so I may, in order to appease my easily vexed neighbours, take the opportunity to fine cut the remaining pieces of tube steel ready to weld up on Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Final little purchase that I thought I would include in today's blog post. In some of the spare moments that I had when I could not be bothered to cut and I did not have access to the workshop to weld, I headed to metrobreakers, my local vehicle scrap yard in order to get a new radiator as the one on the sierra will be too large for the nosecone of the new car.
The yard is actually quite fun to wonder around and see what could be used in your car, sooo many smashed up cars. As the book suggested I purchased one off a 2001 Renault Clio.
I also almost bought some new wheels for my car but I felt the expense could not be justified at this point. The radiator seems perfect for the job but did cost me £45 which I felt was a little dear for a piece of scrap but beggars can't be choosers and hopefully it will do the job.

1 comment:

  1. HEY BUGGER WORKING LATE TONIGHT. IF YOU WANT TO PULL IN, NO PROB. LOST YOUR NUMBER SO CANT PHONE. AL

    ReplyDelete