Saturday 20 June 2009

Visit to MK Engineering and a new Clutch!

I've made it home but not before heading up to Rotherham to collect a whole load of parts from Martin at MK engineering. I was ordering the fibreglass panels through him and I also decided to get him to make me some of the parts in the suspension area in order to save me from having to manufacture the jigs for them.

I headed off yesterday morning from Nottingham to Rotherham in the sierra; Jonny Silvester came along for the trip. After a much deserved, hangover curing, McD's we arrived at Martins at about 1 o'clock to see his very own self build parked up out front.

Upon wondering in we came across the parts that I ordered laid out ready to go, but martin insisted that he gave us a quick tour. He had an awesome setup with thousands of pounds worth of CNC equipment stowed away. It came as a surprise upon going into some of these buildings to come across the level of equipment he had. He also had a number of other cars that he was working on, all of which looked so intriguing; I really could have stayed there all day.

Next he gave me a look over his car and took me out for a spin in it. It was FAST! And with no windshield you really do notice it. It was also very noticeable how well it stuck to the road. He had a motorbike engine in this car meaning it was a far higher performance engine than I will have. So much fun though, it really made me want to start building.

Finally we packed up the parts that I had ordered and with a few more hints and tips about my particular build Jonny and I headed off, both agreeing that the visit was fun and Martin was a bit of a legend.

In other news after looking through the paperwork on the car we found that a new clutch had been fitted a year ago and it was still under guarantee. As my dad and I both thought that the clutch had felt a bit dodgy when pulling away in first, we took it into "Mr Clutch" to see to see what the prognosis was. The man there said that it did need replacing and in a surreal game of invoice/receipt top trumps he begrudgingly realised he was beaten and fitted the £130 brand new clutch for free. She now drives beautifully.

The next stage of the build is to start fine cutting the steel tube and welding the chassis or to start dismantling the car. Choosing which one to do first will depend on the nature of the workshop space that I get given first but as it stands I think I will be building the chassis, and that may start as early as the beginning of next week. Excitement! Keep reading, and for those of you from Nottingham, have a great Holiday!

Current Spend: £2,661.78

No comments:

Post a Comment